Saturday, May 1, 2010

End of My College Career

The days of putting on the Central red uniform are becoming less and less. Each time I load up my bag I realize my days as a competitive athlete are numbered. Knowing this makes each great throw sweeter and a bad day out that much more discouraging. But one thing I need to keep in perspective is 'I DID GET TO COMPETE IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS!' I was able to carry on with 2 sports, that I fully enjoyed for 4 more years after high school. Not everyone can say that and I don't regret a moment of it.

While at times the experience wasn't enjoyable in the current moment, looking back on it there was a lesson in each thing. It needed to happen to teach me about myself and my response. Each time something challenged me, I found a new level of determination, mental capacity and increased work ethic. I can feel good upon the completion of my career in Dutch athletics because I never backed away from a challenge and if I competed it was will all I had.

I contribute my growth as an athlete and person to the numerous coaches I have had at Central. Each one challenged me in a new way. Many of them genuinely cared about my growth as a person over my athletic growth. They knew athletics would end and life would continue. Therefore, helping their players develop skills that were helpful to them in the future would be more beneficial.

I didn't have a scholarship to play for 4 more years. But I did it out of enjoyment. I created friendships that will last long after my playing days and gained mental toughness and determination. I will walk away from my college athletic career without regret and 'what if' questions, because I finished strong and did what I enjoyed.

Central athletics will always be a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment