Saturday, May 22, 2010

Graduation Speeches

It's been one week since graduation, but some key points in the baccalaureate and commencement speeches have stuck with me.

The first was the a Bible verse I have always liked and it was the main focus of the baccalaureate speech by Kip Murphy and then my aunt wrote it into the card she sent me.
It is Jeremiah 29:11:
"For I know the plan I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

It is disappointing to me to have received my diploma, applied to a large number of jobs and not being employed. I realize it will work out and I need to keep applying and continue to have a positive outlook. But hearing this verse and having it sent to me is a nice reminder that I am not in control of what happens, there is a plan laid out and I have to trust in God and let it work.

The next point came from the commencement speech by Dianne Dillon-Ridgley, a member of the board of directors of Interface, Inc. among many other titles. Her speech discussed many transformative moments in that have affected her life. It's interesting that once you think about it there are many moments in your life that have changed something enough that it made an impact. I would say one big transformative moment in my life was deciding to withdraw the down payment I had paid to Iowa State in order to enroll at Central. While at the time I knew Central felt like the place I needed to be, it was a hard decision because all my friends were heading to ISU. Sitting at my graduation I had no regrets of attending Central, I had so many more opportunities given to me academically and athletically, created many close relationships and achieved many great things.

Lastly, Dianne Dillion-Ridgley brought up the idea of human talent as a resource. A resource that is ongoing. Each person brings a different talent to the world and adds to another's talent. It is what keeps our society moving forward. Each of us needs to recognize our talents and use them as a powerful resource to better the world in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment