Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back to Oregon

The break went too quickly! The last week at home I was able to see one of Leah's games, which was the first loss of the year to at the time the #5 team in 2A. So while it was unfortant they had to lose it wasn't a bad team to lose to and it's better to lose now then down the road. I also got to attend Daniel's Jr.High Geography Bee. He did well answering all of them right on day 1, but day 2 didn't go so well for him. And to top off the week, I visited the dentist to find out I need a root canal, which I am putting off until June...and maybe by then I will have just pulled it myself.

I didn't get to see Leah or Daniel's games on Friday because they both were cancelled due to weather. Our family was due at Stoney Creek in Des Moines that evening, so we waited out the fog for a bit before finally deciding to brave it and take off to meet up with Mom's side.

Everyone was nicely settled into their typical rooms by the time our van rolled in, but games were ready to start. We did notice some changes to our typical rooms though, Stoney Creek had remodeled...meaning there were no marshmallows ground into the floor or balloons stuck in lamp fixtures from our previous family visits. But game playing still went on. Friday we played late into the night Friday and got an early start on Saturday with the Christmas grab bags. It was the first year for our family to initiate the 'steal or open' grab bag and it was a bit interesting.

Then it was an afternoon to ourselves and whatever activities we chose. Kathleen and I found ourselves wandering the mall aimlessly before I met up with the entire Ellingson clan at Panera. It was great to see their whole family!

For our Saturday evening entertainment, we went to a movie as usual. This year was 'Little Fockers', while I won't say much about the movie, I did see the logoed Chicago 2016 bus go behind them as Ben Stiller's character was standing on the street. So even if the movie was horrible I will give it my vote just for that!

Coming back was interesting. I was on the plane by 6:45 am (CST) and back in Portland by 11 am (PST) (please do your own conversions). I then jumped on the MAX headed to my 18 team's tournament, which was luckily in Beaverton. I was there in time to see two of their games and officiate two matches. One was a thriller for the crowd, because a coach protested one of my calls. I hold to the decision that I made.

After the tournament Natalie picked me up...without my luggage. I had had a parent pick me up at the MAX station and after our final game they left, with my luggage. So after calling them we planned to have them drop off at Natalie's sisters house, where we would be until Chantel's flight got in, which was 3-hours delayed.

By the time we were ready to head back to the airport, my luggage hadn't been dropped off. But we took off anyway and as we were driving I was called because they were there to drop it off. Well grand, we aren't there. So we called Natalie's brother-in-law to meet them and get it. When we got to the airport we headed to the Southwest desk to retrieve Natalie's lost luggage. Unfortunately, it was not in yet, so she had to put up with them delivering it sometime in the following 24-hours. After uniting with Chantel we stopped at Natalie's sisters again to get my luggage and finally made back to our house by 11 pm. It was a long day!

Monday came way too fast and I was back at work. And of course the BCS Championship was a big deal because Oregon was in it. I didn't plan to watch the game, because I honestly didn't care who won as long as Gene Chizik didn't, which I guess would mean I would prefer Oregon to win. But I as invited to the Pacific football coach's house for the game, so I decided to go. Plus while there a guy who worked at the Oregonian stopped and brought the proposed covers for the Oregonian if Oregon won and, of course, all snapped quick phone pictures of the covers that are now probably being sent to third world countries with the championship shirts.

The rest of the week was a filled with club volleyball practice and Pacific basketball. Pacific hosted 5 games this week including a 2 overtime thriller on Friday night. I ran the statcrew computer all week and was perfectly balanced at the end of every game, which no cheating using deadball rebounds. And yes, I know to most of you that makes no sense, but for the few and proud statcrew people it is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment