Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!

Last week was the start of the Chinese New Year and the year of the rabbit. And with my first Saturday off since getting back, I took my uncle's invitation to come into the city and visit the Chinese Gardens for their New Year's celebration.

The Chinese New Year goes on for a 2 week period, so the garden was decked out in red Chinese lanterns and had different stations for typical Chinese events, including calligraphy writing, story telling, and making of simple Chinese lanterns. On Saturday, they also had lion dances every hour.

So after a long train ride into the city, I made it to the Chinese Garden in time to walk around and see everything before the lion dance. The lion dance was pretty neat, they are constantly moving and the back people never stand upright. That takes a lot of endurance!

After exploring the garden and Chinatown a bit, Doug and I had lunch at a Chinese restaurant of course! It was nice to have time to spend with my uncle and to have a day off to visit something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment