Saturday, March 26, 2011

Adventures: Colorado

Last weekend I headed to the Colorado Crossroads with the 18s team and let me tell you it was a bit more than I bargained for, but I got to see Central people and visit the Garden of the Gods.

We flew to Denver on St. Patrick's Day, after over a 4 hour delay and getting our connection held for us in Salt Lake. Luckily, it was the first day of the NCAA tournament so we could sit and watch the games. Secondly, for St. Patrick's Day Southwest airlines gives free drinks for the holiday!

Additionally, when we got to our hotel in Denver we discovered that we were staying at one of the NCAA Tournament host hotels, with Gonzaga. In my family, my dad would be going crazy because of his small obsession with the school for a reason unknown to anyone, probably even him, and my mom and David would be in search of John Stockton for an autograph.

Anyway, as I was sitting in the lounge area after the had made their entrance after winning and messing up my bracket, I scanned the group of parents and Gonzaga fans and found John Stockton. Yes, in person. After encouraging of Athena coaches I finally walked over and asked for a picture. He politely denied my request because he didn't want to start something and have to take a ton a pictures. I understood and settled for a handshake and a discussion about club volleyball, because his daughter plays in the same region. But it was pretty cool and we ran into him several times in our hotel over the three days.

Garden of the Gods
After the first day at the tournament the other 18s coach and I headed to Colorado Springs to visit the Garden of the Gods. It was a bit longer of a drive than anticipated, but we got a good hour to walk around and enjoy being outdoors rain free in the sun! If I would have had longer I would have loved to sit and just enjoy being outside or maybe climb a bit more. But we had to get back to the team.

Colorado Crossroads
The tournament did not go so well. The team I am working with lacks competitive nature and enjoying the game and if you know me, I am very competitive and playing volleyball is very enjoyable to me. It killed me to watch them play on the first day, no one smiled or celebrated a great play! It was painful, but the other problem was how disrespectful our team was to those working our court. This team has had ongoing problems with respecting their teammates and others at tournaments. It peaked at the tournament and parents and players revolted.

On Day 2, the head coach decided to walk away from the team for the rest of the tournament. This left me... Yep, not the greatest situation to be in, but Lena, the club director sat with me during the day and while the still didn't look like they were enjoying the game it went okay. Day 3, was all me and it was single elimination. With the lack of competitiveness we couldn't take advantage of the weaknesses of the other team and win, so our tournament weekend ended early in the day.

I stuck with them all weekend, because I don't give up, especially when the going gets tough. I have been on teams that have had their share of drama, but nothing to this level. My goal for the final month of our season is to make a change even if it's only a small change in one person I will feel satisfied. I want these girls to appreciate the opportunity they have to play and to use it to better themselves not only as a volleyball player, but also as a person. I have several ideas, I just don't know what will sink in. Wish me luck or send me ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment