Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

I thought I'd take the time on this lovely Mother's Day to thank my mom for all she has taught me about myself over the 24.5 years we have spent together. Without her, I may not have been able to to figure this all out!
1. She's my favorite.
My mom has 4 wonderful kids, each with their own personality, but it seems the 3rd child gets a bit more attention. Why you make ask? Well according to my mom, she is the favorite. This statement was reinforced by the card Leah received on Valentine's day, see image on the right.

2. I am huge.

About a year or so ago, Leah so kindly took my seat after I stood up, well of course I sat on her for doing this. After Leah's squeal of aggravation, my mom looks at me and tells me to get off of her because I am huge! Really mom?? Huge is not a substitution for tall! However, I did sit on the favorite, refer to #1.

3. I am uncoordinated.For many years of my childhood I wanted to be in dance with all my friends, but my mom didn't like it and never let me join. She tells me later in life it was because I was uncoordinated and she didn't want me to embarrass myself...thanks mom. Why did you let me be in gymnastics? That requires a lot of coordination too...thank god for participation trophies!

4. I have no butt in dress pants.
Last fall, after I walked across the whole U of I campus to find the emergency room my grandpa was in, my mom's first reaction to seeing my sweating face in a business suit is that I have not butt in dress pants. Why thank you, I am glad to see you too!

5. Stray animals easily become pets.
Well, let's see. Every one of the animals my family has adopted in the past...all my life...has been a stray or abandoned animal. The ones that land on our porch are the most adoptable and I guess can be easily converted. My mom is too much of a softy to let the animals to starve or be cold and to be honest my dad is the same way (but he'll never admit that!).

6. Family is #1.
My mom would drop nearly anything if her family needs her. Whether it is a sporting or fine arts event, birthday or medical happening, she wants to support her family. This is something she has transferred on to her kids as well. I will make trips home to see Leah and Daniel's events or trips to see my grandparents, David does the same thing. And I am willing to bet Leah will be the same next year as she journeys off to college.


7. When I was your age...
After graduation from Central, I complained about the job search, etc. Typical stuff. However, my mom's response often was at your age, I was married, commuted to school...blah, blah the list went on. She had a way of making feel like I needed to do more/have motivation to keep fighting for what I want. However, too bad for you mom, I will still complain & you'll have to listen! :)
8. I say it how it is.
My mom seems to think this is kind of annoying or rude. But has she met my father? I learned all I know from him. And just for the record, I do better at keeping my volume down and holding my tongue than he does!
I figured Mother's Day was a chance for me to not let you down & 'say it how it is'. Thank you for being a wonderful and supportive mom for all of us & Happy Mother's Day! :)

1 comment:

  1. That was very sweet, Sara! By the way, in regard to #1, Daniel got the same valentine. I had them printed for you and David as well, but forgot to give them to you......maybe next year! So actually you are all my favorite in your own way!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete