Sunday, November 11, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is never an easy task, especially when it's a final goodbye. Last week, I said my final goodbye to my grandpa as he took his final breath surrounded by his loving wife and children.

I know he is in a better place and is free of the limits his age and body had put on him. But his sense of humor and contagious smile are something I will continually miss until we meet again.

My grandpa was born and raised in Greene, Iowa. Became the head of the household before the age of 10, graduated HS early, went to college for a year on a baseball scholarship, but returned home to take full responsibility of his family farm instead of taking a chance to play professional baseball. He never complained about what could of been, this is what needed to be done and he needed to do it.

This was the attitude he had through life, if it needed to be done, he did it. He didn't complain, he didn't get angry, he just did it...no matter what it took.

Farming is no easy task, especially with very active kids and then grandkids. But I struggle to think of a time my grandpa wasn't in the stands for one of my games, no matter the sport. I remember being in a hitting slump one softball season, only to find my grandpa at my house one morning with a wooden bat rigged up with a ball on a string. He stood out in the yard and swung it around and made me hit until he felt it was better. Believe me, it got better.

I also spent my time with him at hog sales, which meant rides and stories in the pick-up and ice cream afterwards. Long tractor rides to Dougherty to pick-up wagons, were always interesting too, but grandpa always made it pleasant. And throughout elementary I spent many league nights at the bowling alley cheering on his team. The soles of my feet will continue to live in fear of grandpa's finger tickling them and my hand will miss his strong welcoming grip. But my heart will remember his smile, humor and fight until the end.

While tears flowed heavily, so did laughs and memories over the last week. There is so much to cherish about my grandpa's 89 years on Earth, that sorrow and grief should not define it, but rather smiles, laughs and memories.

The way my grandpa lived his life was a true model for which to strive for. I hope throughout my life, I can follow his way. Let unneeded stress go, smile, work hard, laugh, crack a joke and most importantly be a positive impact on your community and people that surround you.

No comments:

Post a Comment