Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Things I've Learned This School Year

**Please note that these learnings are not academic.


  • In my sixth year of higher-ed, I have discovered I have nearly mastered the art of procrastination when it comes to academics. 
    • In the past week, I have completed my grandpa's slideshow, baked cookies (twice) and cleaned anything and everything, but still have a lot of homework to do.
  • Undergrads now-a-days do not know what citing sources is.
    • Evidently, citing sources has been eliminated from HS curriculum. After teaching this past year, I have had to deal with arguments that copy and pasting a website at the end of the paper is citing. NO! If facts or quotes are used they probably came from somewhere, so cite it, otherwise it's plagiarism!
  • The straightest distance between two points in straight line, therefore crosswalks take too long.
    • I'm from small town Iowa, went to a small college and crosswalks were never used. I find them to be out of the way and to take too long, so yes I jaywalk 9 out of 10 times, because I don't like to wait.
  • I'm getting older.
    • Therefore, I need more sleep than I used to get and midnight is too late. Also my body doesn't bounce back as quickly from playing too much volleyball or stupid little nagging injuries, seriously! Also I like my coffee black...old I'm telling you!
  • My brother has better fashion sense than me...evidently I got Jeff's genes there.
  • Every once and awhile I check my oil when I get gas.
    • This is to appease Greg and my grandpa (cause I would guess he is watching me). However, I have no idea what I would do if it read it was low on oil...probably call Mark.
  • Patience & Faith.
    • I'm not always good with these, but my Grandpa Mouw reminds me of this whenever I talk to him. Thank goodness I have this reminder.

Well that's what I have for now, but everyday is a learning day.

1 comment:

  1. We are both getting old. I have played 5 days of volleyball in the last 7. I haven't done that since high school, and let me tell you, my knees hurt more than I EVER remember them hurting in my LIFE! Also, the shoulder is starting to ache a little.

    I also find I like to go to bed VERY early and hardly EVER stay up late anymore. I would much rather have a night in than a night out... because I am a lazy piece and I like my sleep. :) I like your observations.

    ReplyDelete