Friday, December 31, 2010

Merry Christmas From The Mouws

December 2010Happy Holidays,
I just came into the house from blowing snow off my driveway. There was some where between 6 and 200 inches of snow from yesterday’s blizzard. I decided that the creative juices were adequately flowing and I immediately sat down to type this greeting. At this moment I have enough snot and other types of moisture frozen in my mustache that it might not thaw for 24-48 hours, and my fingers are so numb that I can’t feel the keyboard of my computer. Yet, my wife just said that Sara called and said she was SO sick of the rain they were getting in Oregon. In fact it had filled some ditches and the water was actually “spilling onto the road”…………BOO HOO!

Speaking of Sara, after graduating from Central College last May she found a job as the Assistant Sports Information Director at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon. We put a hitch on her 2000 Chevy Malibu and Sandy, Sara and myself headed off pulling a U-Haul on the Oregon Trail. Quite a trip, but we made it with no problems (thankfully) and Sara has enjoyed her time thus far in Oregon with her new job. Thank goodness my brother, Doug, is in Portland and Forest Grove is just outside of Portland. Sara has some family out there and a knowledgeable tour guide!

David is in his sophomore year at the University of Northern Iowa and seems to be enjoying his college experience. He added a part-time job this year to his schedule this year and that keeps him busy along with school. David’s job is at a KWIK STAR convenience store that coincidently is managed by a student of mine that I had in the late 80’s. Kim’s (the manager) father is the custodian at the elementary school here in town. One day he shared with Sandy and I that David was her favorite employee, as he is doing his job well. YES! Sandy and I may have done something right in raising that kid!

Leah is a junior in high school and doing well. Between her academics, athletics, a college course on Wednesday nights and more then adequate times with friends, she keeps herself very busy. Currently she is playing on the girl’s basketball team, which is rated in the top 10 in the state! Having graduated several talented seniors from last year’s team, few expected our team to be back in the top 10. Though they did not start even rated at the beginning of the season, they have managed to go undefeated to this point in the season. This past fall, Leah was voted by her teammates as the MVP of the volleyball team. That was quite an honor for her.

Daniel is an 8th grader and finishing his last year in middle school. A year ago I believe I mentioned that Daniel enjoys being in the middle school musical productions over the years, but has also managed to get a non-singing part. Well, it happened this year, as not only did he have to sing a bit, he actually had a short solo. The talent agents were swarming the stage afterwards to sign him as a recording artist. Funny thing though, he declined all offers and said he would rather play video games right now at this stage of his life. Sigh. Daniel moved to David’s bedroom in the basement, and now refers to it as his “man cave”. It is not uncommon for him to excuse himself to the basement with a friend and not see them for I think sometimes weeks. Video games?!?……maybe Sandy and I messed up there.

Sandy is still teaching first grade and I am still plugging away teaching high school math. For Christmas Sandy and I decided to get a new mattress as our gift to each other and call it good. Now that I think about it, how unromantic is that? I think I’ll surprise her with a pack of gum as well! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

© Jeff Mouw 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment