Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Budget Survival 101

Mailing Lists!

As much as I hate mailing lists cluttering up my inbox I also find them very handy. In Chicago we all signed up for a bunch of them, because we could get free sandwiches at Quiznos or free ice cream at DQ. Which was great because everything was more expensive there.I never unsubscribed to either, especially DQ, because who would really turn down free ice cream?

Anyway, the Quiznos one has come in quite handy out here. I'm not saying I go there every week, but when I get a coupon for $2 off a sandwich I do visit and get it for the next day's lunch. I also am a fan of the ones I get from Shutterfly for free pictures, I have taken a lot of pictures out here and it's nice to be able to print them for free.

The other thing I find hand is swagbucks.com. It is a search engine, powered by Google, however as you search you can gain points for gift certificates. It really is a marketing research ploy. You have to have an account, so I am sure what I search is monitored for research and sorted by the demographic I fit. But hey I am a marketing person too, so if it helps go a head and graph it as long as I get my gift cards. I regularly get the Amazon coupons, which is making life a bit cheaper here because I am ordering Christmas gifts online and having a discount and not having to pay for shipping!

I've learned you can be a smart shopper without a lot of effort if you just know where to look. And between Chicago and Oregon I have discovered many good ideas to stay on a tight budget...or maybe my frugal Dutch side is starting to show!

No comments:

Post a Comment