Saturday, October 23, 2010

Changing Plans & Goals

About a week ago my mom was working on cleaning off the computer when she came across an essay I wrote for a scholarship my senior year high school. She sent it to me to look at and all, I could think of is 'wow how goals and plans change!' Here's the essay:


In the future I want to do something that I enjoy and want to continue to do. I plan to attend Central College next year and major in architecture. I will be participating in volleyball and track and field. My top priority while at Central will be deciding between architecture and landscape architecture. No matter which I decide I would like to graduate with a degree in 2012, as both programs are six year programs. From there I would like to join an architecture firm. I would eventually like to have my own firm. I hope to travel worldwide to study architecture of different regions and time periods. After traveling I want to bring back new ideas to the United States and incorporate them into my own designs. I also hope to work toward a master's degree after spending some time in the field. My goal is to find a career that will suit me and allow me to use my education. This is my dream, one I will continue working on until it comes true.

Well, I definitely did not become an architect, because I really am not a good free hand drawer. However, while that seemed to be my huge goal at the time, I also included small ones of having a career I enjoy, completing my education on time and finding a career that suits me. And I did play volleyball and participate in track and field. Architecture didn't, but I am still not sure I know what career will fit me. I am hoping to start a master's program in next year or so.

Isn't it odd how many goals and plans we make in life, but if we look back at them we see how many of them were changed? What we saw as a perfect plan or goal in our lives at 18 has completely changed at age 23. It also leads to the thought: Did I fail because I didn't achieve these goals and plans?

I think it is a reminder as much as we try to lay out a plan or set a goal for ourselves there is a higher power who has the ultimate plan for us. We can make plans and set goals, but can't be disappointed in not meeting them perfectly, because it may not be the plan laid out by God.

Jeremiah 29:11:
"For I know the plan I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

No comments:

Post a Comment